A federal appeals court has ruled that the Trump administration’s restrictions on transgender people serving in the military can stand for now.
Trump first tried back in July 2017 to ban transgender people from serving ‘in any capacity’ in the military but after facing legal opposition he last year moved instead to limit the service of those who ‘may require substantial medical treatment’.
The Pentagon was then blocked from implementing the ban by a lower court judge, a ruling that the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit overturned on Friday.
The court said that the plan devised by former Defense Secretary James Mattis still allowed transgender people to serve ‘in their biological sex’ and that military reports had found that ‘not all transgender persons seek to transition to their preferred gender’.
The ruling was welcomed by Family Research Council’s executive vice president and retired Lieutenant General William Boykin.
‘This is a victory for our service members who are tasked with defending America because it allows our military leaders to focus their mission on fighting and winning wars rather than social engineering,’ he said.
He continued: ‘The appeals court ruling helps pave the way for President Trump to continue moving the military away from Obama era political correctness which left our nation’s defenses at its lowest levels of readiness since before WWII.
The story may be found on www.christiantoday.com